She’s sung for popes, presidents and princesses, and released songs that still move a crowd decades after release. Her first single Never Can Say Good-Bye became the first song to reach number one status in Billboard’s newly formed dance music charts. In 1979 she released a song that would become her signature track and an anthem to many—I Will Survive. And thirty albums later, she still has one of the most powerful voices in the business.
Her name is Gloria Gaynor, and in this interview you will hear her story—a story of chart success, inner emptiness, spiritual search and personal redemption.
Click To Listen
In the Interview
In this 2009 Open House interview Gloria and I explore:
- Her impoverished childhood and early discovery of her talent
- Her ‘fairy tale’ break into the music industry
- The New York stage accident that threatened to end her career
- The unexpected success of I Will Survive (originally a B-side)
- Her fascinating journey to faith
- Her subsequent musical journey
- Her acceptance as a committed Christian by the gay community
‘I had homes and cars and jewellery and furs. I had everything a person would call success, but I felt unfulfilled’ Tweet this
‘I started on a quest to learn what could make a person feel fulfilled when they seemingly already had everything’ Tweet this
‘Musically, I became more responsible for the lyrics that I sang and the kind of subject matter I sang about’ Tweet this
‘Then the Lord said to me, “Here’s what I need you to understand: as long as your music is recorded and performed for my glory and is keeping with my principles, my will, my word and my way, your music is not secular, it is sanctified”‘ Tweet this
You may find the following links and resources helpful:
- Album: I Wish You love by Gloria Gaynor
- Book: Open House Volume 2 has Gloria’s full story
- Book: We Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
- Link: Gloria Gaynor’s website
- My October speaking tour of Australia is fully booked. See you at one of these events!
- I’m taking bookings for 2014 speaking events now. Check out some of my current speaking topics and tell me about your event.
Subscribe to More Than This and never miss an episode.
Want to respond to this podcast? Got a question to ask or a story to tell?
Call Me: Use the ‘Send Voicemail’ button. Here’s how
Comment: Leave your written comment now
Rate and Share: Would you mind rating this podcast on iTunes or sharing it with others? This significantly helps others discover it. Thanks!
Question: Your general comments are welcome. Leave me a comment now