Join Me for the #DigiPilgrim Online Pilgrimage to Durham
Pilgrimage: a meaningful journey to a sacred place.
Or in this case: from one sacred place to another.
Next month, my friend DJ and I will undertake an 8-day pilgrimage from the Holy Island of Lindisfarne to Durham, in partnership with the brilliant BigBible and CODEC team at Durham University. We will cover over 100 miles, see some astounding natural beauty, learn a thing or two about North England’s rich spiritual heritage, and arrive at the ancient, beautifully-illustrated Lindisfarne Gospels currently on view at Palace Green Library, Durham University.
Want to join us?
A Modern Day (Digital) Pilgrimage
Ever since God called Abraham to journey to an unknown land, people of faith have been making pilgrimages to places of spiritual significance. God can be found anywhere of course, but to walk in the steps of Jesus through Jerusalem, or to visit Rome, or to follow the Apostle Paul’s missionary journeys can be a life-changing experience. Pilgrimage reminds us that our whole lives are journeys in which God meets us. On a pilgrimage you should leave one person and return another, even it’s just to return with renewed clarity about God, your life, your purpose, and what’s most important.
But not everyone can take a week off and travel to England’s north. That’s why DJ and I will be making this a digital pilgrimage—using simple tools like our phones, iPads and social media accounts to share the journey with you.
Here’s How it Will Work
The #DigiPilgrim Online Pilgrimage takes place Sunday September 15th to Monday 23rd (book it in your diary now!). We’ll be walking an average of 14 miles each day, and along the way will be sharing:
- Video blogs: uploaded here each afternoon of the trek (internet permitting) reflecting on what we’ve seen, heard, felt and learnt
- Pictures: via Twitter and Facebook, and also collated here each day
- Tweets and reflections: via the #DigiPilgrim hashtag
We’ll publish a rough itinerary of our stopping points soon for you to follow, plus the lessons we’re learning on how to prepare for pilgrimage.
5 Steps to Get Involved
We hope this virtual pilgrimage will become a devotional opportunity for you to connect with God and reflect on your life. It may even prepare you to take the trip in person one day! To take part:
- Subscribe to the BigBible blog, where all the action will happen
- Follow us on Twitter: @bigbible @sheridanvoysey @djkonz and share your questions and thoughts along the journey (me and BigBible are on Facebook too)
- Start following the #DigiPilgrim hashtag
- Discover more about Lindisfarne, Durham Cathedral and the Lindisfarne Gospels
- Reflect on this story of Jesus meeting two people along their own journey
We hope you can join us on what will be a great adventure.
An adventure where we, and not you, get the blisters!
Question: So, are you in? Tell me now!