Throwing thousands of dollars away on the steps of the New York Stock Exchange. Calling Mother Teresa of Calcutta and asking for an internship. Planting community gardens in abandoned blocks, and flying to Baghdad as the first bombs of the Iraq war rain down. Shane Claiborne is a dreadlocked peace warrior living an extraordinary life. In this interview you’ll hear what motivates his escapades and how you can become an ‘ordinary radical’ like him.
Click To Listen
In the Interview
Shane’s books include The Irresistible Revolution and Jesus for President. He is one of the founders of The Simple Way, a community based in Kensington, Philadelphia, that seeks to live out authentic Christian faith and service. In this convicting and often humorous interview, originally aired on the Open House show in 2007, we explore:
- How disillusionment led Shane to find the radical life he’s living
- Why he threw $20,000 from the New York Stock Exchange steps
- Why he plants gardens in abandoned lots
- His experiences in Baghdad as bombs fell around him
- Why he’ll never forget Mother Teresa’s feet
- and more
‘We believe in making ugly things beautiful and bringing dead things to life’ Tweet this
‘We believe God has a different vision of economics and how the world can work, and we’re here to proclaim it‘ Tweet this
‘Then we dumped $20,000 on Wall Street and had this huge party’ Tweet this
You may find the following links and resources helpful:
- Book: The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne
- Book: Jesus for President by Shane Claiborne
- Book: Common Prayer by Claiborne, Wilson-Hartgrove and Okoro
- Book: Open House Volume 2 which contains the full transcript
- Link: The Simple Way community
- Winners of the ECPA Christian Book of the Year Award will be announced April 28. Resurrection Year has been named a finalist!
- I will be doing a speaking tour of the US in October. If you are interested in having me speak please get in touch soon
- The next event on my UK schedule is a live-streamed seminar with the London Institute of Christianity on Listening to the Soul of Your Community. Book here
- The Panning for Gold writer’s weekend with Adrian Plass is now fully booked
Subscribe to More Than This and never miss an episode.