We Need to Rediscover the Power of Friendship. Here’s How to Do it
The research is startling. Friendship has been proven to boost our immune system, decrease anxiety and depression, increase our lifespan, and be a buffer against addictions, prejudice and extremism. And yet rates of it are declining in western countries. Why? In this keynote talk for Christian Schools Trust‘s recent conference, I unpack some of the reasons and highlight some of the solutions. While the session is focussed on professional educators, the content applies to all of us. You’ll hear:
- What friendship is (and isn’t)
- The two forces pushing friendship to the sidelines in both culture and church
- Why Christian workers can have impoverished friendship circles
- Two convictions that can transform the friendship problem
- The six stages of friendship formation
My goal in this session is to re-convert us to this forgotten love, lift it up as a sacred calling and re-prioritise it in our lives. Towards the end I’ll lead you in a prayerful exercise to think about your current friendships. I’d love to know your insights too in the comments.
More to Come
I’m preparing to launch a significant project on friendship in 2022. Join my newsletter community to hear about it first!