Welcome to this first episode of More Than This, my new podcast on life, faith and spirituality. I’ll post this regular podcast on Wednesday mornings. Please subscribe to ensure you never miss an episode!
Where is God When it Hurts? What’s So Amazing About Grace? Disappointment With God. The Jesus I Never Knew. Rumours of Another World. Prayer. Philip Yancey sits in his den tapping out books that inspire millions. On one September night in 2007, Philip dropped by my previous show Open House for a chat. An intriguing discussion ensued about God, doubt, faith and the musings of an author with more questions than he has answers.
Click To Listen
In this hour-long conversation Philip Yancey and I explore:
- Why he writes books
- His experience growing up in a ‘toxic’ church
- How doubt-tolerant God is
- How his father’s death while he was a child later affected him
- How we focus on cause when the Scriptures focus on response
- Which of his books has most changed him
- Why he’s still a Christian
And Philip answers some listener’s questions:
- How he overcomes writers block
- Whether he ever doubts his work is worthy of reading
- How the church can offer grace to gay people
- The issue of God and war
- Why we knowingly hurt others
You may find the following links and resources helpful:
- Book: Where is God When it Hurts by Philip Yancey
- Book: Disappointment with God by Philip Yancey
- Book: What’s So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey
- Book: Open House Volume 1, in which this interview appears in print
- Link: Philip Yancey’s blog
Subscribe to More Than This and never miss an episode.
Want to respond to this podcast? Got a question to ask or a story to tell?
Call Me: Use the ‘Send Voicemail’ button.
- Make sure your microphone is plugged in
- Tell me your name
- Give me your comment in 40 seconds
- Replay your recording to ensure it’s good quality then hit ‘Send’. I’ll use the best voicemails in the next episode.
Comment: Leave your written comment now.
Rate and Share: Would you mind rating this podcast on iTunes or sharing it with others? This significantly helps others discover it. Thanks!
Question: Please give your feedback on the new podcast. What works? What can be improved? Leave your comment now.