If you’re involved in art, photography, writing or story telling; if you plant gardens, build houses, plan towns or make furniture; if you like to cook, sew, play sport, do business, or are in engaged in media, law, languages, technology, wood working, sign writing or just about any other human endeavour, then you are involved in culture-making. Culture isn’t the domain of the artists alone. You are shaping the world.
What really matters is what vision drives you as you act, play and create. That’s where Andy Crouch steps in. In this interview you’ll learn how to recover your creative calling as a culture-maker who shapes the world for good.
Click To Listen
In the Interview
One of our themes on More Than This this year is on how to discover your calling. Andy Crouch is a good dialogue partner here. Andy is executive editor of Christianity Today magazine, executive producer of the This Is Our City project, and author of Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling and Playing God: Redeeming the Gift of Power. In this Open House interview Andy and I explore:
- Why something as simple as making an omelet is ‘culture’
- Why condemning, critiquing, consuming or copying culture is not going to change it (and what will)
- The biblical vision of culture and how Easter Sunday changed culture forever
- The difference between our ‘gestures’ and our ‘postures’ (very helpful!)
- Practical steps to take up our own creative calling
What is your creative calling? What would you like it to be? Call me using the ‘Send Voicemail’ button, or leave a comment below. Please also rate and share this podcast on iTunes to help others discover it.
You may find the following links and resources helpful:
- Book: Culture Making by Andy Crouch
- Book: Playing God by Andy Crouch
- Link: Andy Crouch’s website
- Link: This is Our City project
- Next events on my UK speaking schedule include Oxford Community Church and St Aldates Church on Sunday May 18. Drop by if you’re in the area
- If you’re interested in engaging the media, book into the #MediaLit course in Durham June 23-27. I’ll be a contributing speaker
- My speaking tour of the US in October-November is coming together. If you’re interested in having me share the Resurrection Year story at your church, conference or event please get in touch soon